Sixty-three % of customers additionally say WMAs present excessive-high quality searching experiences.
“Wildlife administration areas are the cornerstone of our public lands system in lots of elements of the state,” stated Tom Landwehr, commissioner of the Minnesota Division of Pure Assets. “Minnesota is lucky to have made an early funding in these public lands that present a wealth of recreation alternatives.”
Minnesota’s WMA system started sixty four years in the past as a part of public effort referred to as “Save the Wetlands.” In the present day, there are greater than 1,four hundred WMAs totaling 1.three million acres, offering a big public-land base for customers to take pleasure in prairies, brushlands, forests, and wetlands.
Permitted by voters, the Clear Water, Land and Legacy Modification offers vital funding for WMA acquisition, Landwehr stated.
As a part of the scientific survey, a graduate scholar on the College of Minnesota-based mostly Minnesota Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Analysis Unit sampled WMA customers in southwest and northwest Minnesota. The survey evaluated the 2015-2016 searching season attitudes and experiences of people that used the WMA system.
Outcomes confirmed that fifty five % of hunters are reasonably or extraordinarily glad with their WMA expertise. WMAs are most valued by these searching pheasants, waterfowl and deer with firearms.
Different key findings:
• Sixty-three % of customers hunt on WMAs however do not go to them for different functions. For many who do, wildlife/fowl watching, fishing and canine coaching are different prime makes use of, respectively.
• Almost forty % of customers do not hunt on personal land, indicating the significance of getting public land obtainable for searching.
• Almost forty five % do both most or all of their searching on WMAs.
• Customers are most all for pheasant searching (eighty %), duck searching (37 %) and firearms deer searching (31 %).
• Probably the most glad hunters are these in search of spring turkeys, fall turkeys and deer by archery, respectively.
“This survey informed us that ninety two % of hunters intend to return to a WMA,” Landwehr stated. “That tells us that hunters see these lands as an necessary useful resource.”
The survey is probably the most in depth evaluation ever of WMA customers. The DNR will use the enter when making future WMA acquisition and administration selections. Full survey outcomes can be found at mndnr.gov/wmas.
— Minnesota DNR
Motorists ought to look ahead to deer
The North Dakota Recreation and Fish Division reminds motorists to observe for deer alongside roadways this time of yr as a result of juvenile animals are…